School, schedules and the High Holidays

I teach a least one class each day, Monday through Thursday. The calendar this year has been very strange.
First, because Labor Day was so late we started classes on Wednesday, September 2. I can only remember starting classes before Labor Day once before (and I have no memory of what year it was, only that I was still a doctoral student, so we're talking late 90's).
Second, the first Monday was a Labor Day, so Monday classes met on Friday of the first week of school. Since I teach two classes that meet twice a week on Monday and Wednesday, the first week of school I taught Wednesday, Thursday (my regularly scheduled Thursday class) and Friday.
The week of Labor Day I taught on Tuesday (my regularly scheduled Tuesday class), Wednesday and Thursday. Okay, now let's go to the week of September 14, the week after Labor Day.  Monday was Rosh Hashanah and we didn't have classes. So I taught Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday again.  And that brings us to the week that just ended-Wednesday was Yom Kippur. So I taught Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
Next week will be my first "normal" week.

And because we spent an awful lot of time in synagogue (Sunday evening for erev Rosh Hashannah services, Monday morning, then this week Tuesday evening for Kol Nidrey and then nearly all day Wednesday (10 AM until 7:30 PM, although I ducked out in the middle of the day to meet the CSA truck and feed the cats) I feel somewhat "jet lagged." I'm not sure what day it is, I'm not sure what time it is, and I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be.

Here's one thing I am sure of: This has been one of the most meaningful High Holidays - S'lihot, erev Rosh Hashanah, Rosh Hashanah morning, Kol Nidrey and Yom Kippur. We spent all those hours at Bet Am Shalom Synagogue and I am a better person for it.

I wish everyone a happy fall!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really 2023?

Coronavirus and the election? Thank heaven it's over

Summer Vacation